Saturday, September 1, 2012

My husband and I took off for a short vacation over the weekend. We didn’t have much time because he’s been traveling for work lately, but we made the most of it and had a blast.
Most of my books are set in the Mohawk Valley of New York state.  Surprisingly, I haven’t really visited much of the area, other than the Lake George region where my French and Indian books are set, although that’s not part of the Mohawk Valley.  We went through Cherry Valley, home of the imfamous Cherry Valley massacre, where more than 60 men, women and children were killed, and stopped at the Cherry Valley Museum, a small estate house built in 1812 that settles lazily along the main drag of town.  The museum host was wonderfully interesting, telling me about her 1770s tavern home right up the street.  You don’t know how badly I wanted to ask her for a tour of her home! 
The museum housed artifacts from the massacre, including a bible with an arrow pierced through it and a signed document by Joseph Brant.
After the museum, we stopped at the local cemetery to look at the winged cherub headstones.   Hubby was a trooper.  He gets a tad creeped out in cemeteries, so he paced the outskirts while I trekked in with my camera and a sense of wonderment.  I’ve always loved cemeteries, the older the better  There aren’t many areas in New York state where you can find the Puritan-influenced stonework such as winged faces and hourglasses signifying our immortality. Massachusetts, yes, but that’s for another blog post. 
We had a wonderful time.  A great ending to a short but scorching summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment