Saturday, January 12, 2013

Guest blogger ~ Kathy Kulig

Today I have the pleasure of hosting author Kathy Kulig on my blog.  Kathy, thank you so much for taking time out from your busy schedule to drop by. 

Tell us about your books. What genre do you write in?

Hi Nancy, thank you so much for having me as a guest. I write in multiple genres of sensual romance, mostly erotic paranormal and contemporary. I have a paranormal series called Demons in Exile with Ellora’s Cave. The demons from another world are also shapeshifters. A couple contemporary and Sci fi erotic romances involve ménage themes, and I also have a BDSM themed story. One paranormal erotic romance, Tattoo Witch was included in Something Wicked This Way Comes, Vol. I from Ellora’s Cave and hit the Amazon Best Seller’s List. Tattoo Witch is one of my favorites although many readers couldn’t resonate with the complicated characters. The hero and heroine have many flaws in themselves and their relationship. While on a beach vacation, they meet up with a wild tattooed couple who promises a quick cure. Of course the ‘quick cure’ is dark magic and only tests them further. True love and courage wins out and makes their love even stronger.

What is a typical writing day like for you?

I work a full time job so I have to squeeze in writing when I can. I write every night after dinner until 10:30 or 11:00 PM and on Saturdays and Sundays between cleaning, grocery shopping and laundry. I have a very supportive writer husband who does most of the cooking and even helps brainstorms.
 
Describe your writing space.

I have a great writing space. I used to work in the dining room. Now I have my own office: a spare room with three large windows and a hutch styled desk (Christmas present two years ago.) Lots of space. We live in an old Victorian house in the process of being restored.

Are you a plotter or a pantster?

I’d say I’m a hybrid. I do write a working synopsis to start a project. (no one sees that one but me.) And I use Michael Hauge’s Six Stage Plot Structure to get down major plot points of the story and do characters outlines (somewhat). That gets me started. But as I write, the story evolves and I usually end up changing it with new twists. My beginnings are rewritten after I’ve finished or almost finished because the story has really clicked and usually changed by the end. Many times I know the ending better than the beginning.

What inspires you?

Everything! Really. Most writers can never turn off their brains. Hazards of the job. A book that’s out on submission now was inspired by a wall mural. Dh and I were standing in line waiting for a ride at Epcot in Orlando. The ride was Sorin (not sure of the spelling). It’s an amazing ride. You feeling like you’re flying. On the walls I saw a fantasy mural. It was futuristic, Science fiction, a little Steampunkish. I pulled my notebook and started writing notes. A whole storyline poured into my head, even ideas for a couple books. Dh rolled his eyes and said, “You’re thinking of a book idea, aren’t you?” He dragged me along the line. It took a while but I finally got around to writing that book. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I can be inspired by music, an over-heard conversation, a movie, a vacation, anything.

How can readers find you, website, blog, etc.?

Thanks again for having me, Nancy!

Thanks for dropping by, Kathy!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy, Thanks again for having me as a guest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, Kathy and Nancy! LOL at how well your husband knows you, Kathy, and has to dissuade you from writing at times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fedora, Thanks for stopping by. Yes, hubby is a good writer hubby. Understands that writers tend to walk around with their heads in their books.

    ReplyDelete