Guest Author ~ Cora Zane



This afternoon I have the pleasure of presenting author Cora Zane.  Cora is multi-published in multiple genres and has a new release out! 

Thanks for visiting Cora!

Hi Nancy! Thanks for hosting me on your blog. I have a new collection out just in time for Halloween. 
A Trick of Light: Four Supernatural Short Stories is available now on Smashwords. I'll be releasing a print edition through my personal print label, Grrl X Publishing, later this year. 

About A Trick of Light

A Trick of Light is a collection of four supernatural short stories. Find out how an old letter puts a woman face to face with a spectral train. Read the lost diary of a family man forced to make difficult choices in the midst of the zombie apocalypse. Witness a rebel angel's final battle against one of his own kind. A Trick of Light...where nothing is quite as it seems. 

Book page, book sample, and buy link:
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/365189

Price: .99 cents
Publisher notes: This is supernatural fiction, not a romance. 


Excerpt from A Trick of Light 


The letter came from my grandmother’s attic.
I found it along with a string of other old mementos in a dusty straw purse at the bottom of an antique armoire. I’d been clearing out Nana’s things for a few weeks, ever since my brothers insisted we finally sell the farm.
While it pained me to see this chunk of property end up outside of the family circle, I had to agree the house was located too far away from the rest of us, and no one had the time or money for the upkeep. Selling was the only way to ensure the place would receive the proper routine maintenance an older home requires.
As it happened, once we’d all in agreed to this, the sad task of sorting Nana’s things fell to me. Among the remnants of her long life, the purse I uncovered in the armoire seemed at first like another one of those treasures too personal to throw out.
Embroidered with purple and mauve thistles and other decorative fronds sewn right onto the weave, the bag had no closure, only two round cane handles that when held together closed the purse. Lovely, but dated.
My grandmother had always liked things like that, items that had been in style during her heyday, which was somewhere around the time of the Second World War. By the looks of it, this bag had been very well loved, and I pulled it from the drawer, my heart aching and missing her. I was disappointed to discover on closer inspection that the bag was flat as an old shoe and crushed toward the bottom.
 I decided it wasn’t worth salvaging after all. That stung a little because something about the purse drew me—I couldn’t have guessed what, since I certainly had no use for a straw bag.
Nevertheless, I checked inside for anything important and found an embroidered hair ribbon, a powder compact with a cracked mirror, a packet of tissues, and an old letter, which was resting on its side and pressed flat against the inner lining of the bag.
I tossed the other things into the trash bin and turned my attention to the letter, which was folded four square, the paper amber with age. It had crumpled from moisture like the dried petals of a pressed flower, and I opened it very carefully so the corner folds didn’t tear.
I don’t know what I expected exactly, that maybe it was an old love letter from my grandfather. He’d been a man of few words, although at some point he’d bragged to us grandkids about the wooing of his lovely Rosalie. I’d been about ten or so when he’d told us the story of how he’d stolen our nana from another man, a soldier who, at the time, had been stationed in Hawaii, or some other far-flung place.
I thought about that story now and decided whatever this letter turned out to be, it was obviously something special for Nana to have kept it all these years. After Grandpa died, I’d asked her if there were any personal letters she’d saved from him. I’d wanted to add them to the family archive I’d been building for the last thirty years or so, but she told me that if there had been any letters, she definitely didn’t have them now. She’d never been much of a “pen and paper gal”, she’d explained. A good thing, I suppose, since Grandpa apparently never had much inclination to express, in written form at least, any poetic feelings he might’ve had for her.
So this new find was a curiosity. I looked at the letter as an unusual artifact to add to the family scrapbook. The rarity of it excited me, even though it saddened me a little to imagine my grandparents young and in love. After all, that was another life, and Nana had not been gone from us for very long. Grief still nagged me at the slightest provocation.
I smoothed the letter flat against my thigh, glad to see that the ink remained fair. The body of the text was still legible; the words had only bled a tiny bit. I lifted the page to see it better in the window light and read the first few words. An odd chill came over me.

Dearest Rosalie,
I know all about him. I wish I didn’t, but I can’t change what is. I love you even now, and despite what your mother says, there is still time for you to change your mind. I will be arriving at Kilkirkin Station at 7:15 p.m. If you love me still, meet me there. Even if you cannot bring yourself to come away with me in the end, at the very least, I would have you stand face to face with me and tell me goodbye. I will be waiting.
Love always.

The letter was unsigned.

To read the full sample, please visit my page at Smashwords. 

Where to find Cora Zane online
Website: www.corazane.com
Personal Blog: http://corazane.blogspot.com
Grrl X Publishing: www.grrlxpublishing.com

Comments

  1. Hi Cora and Nancy.
    Cora - great excerpt. I love the premise of this story. The others sound good too. Good luck with your Halloween release.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Luna and the golf ball

Patience

Stranger is his Bed is now free on Amazon Kindle!