Why I went Indie



In 2013 I went Indie. I’m loving the journey and I haven’t looked back.  
Indie is a term for authors who choose to publish their books on their own without the aid of a publisher.  There are tons of reasons why authors choose to self-publish, and they are all as unique and personal as the authors themselves.  Some writers also publish both routes, which many refer to as “Hybrid Authors”.  They may publish one series or stand-alone novel traditionally with a publisher and self-publish another totally different series.  No way is the wrong way.  It’s a career path all writers must decide on their own.  

So why did I make the switch?  Here are some of my reasons:

  • I have 100% say in my covers when I self-publish.  Don’t get me wrong, I’ve worked with some publishers who were very willing to work with my ideas for how I thought the covers should look. However, going Indie means I have all the say.  Plus I can change the covers at random based on whether I want to boost sales, showcase a particular theme of the novel, etc. 
  • I can write a series without first getting permission from the publisher.  This is a big one for me. I can take any character and reference them in other books, make them part of a series, whether a major or minor character; it’s all fair game, and it’s so much fun. 
  • Something that goes along with this is that I can write any character in via request from readers. If a reader wants to see more of a certain character, again, I don’t have to get permission from anyone.  Which brings me to my next reason…
  • I can please my readers.  And I can please them faster.  If I want to write ten plus books per year, I don’t have to wait for a publisher to accept them.  Most books aren’t even published until a year after they are accepted by a publisher. That’s a long time for a reader to wait.  Nowadays with the Internet making everything instantaneous, readers aren't willing to wait a year or more for your next book.  With self-publishing I don’t have to make them wait.  I can get the book/books out to you guys as fast as my fingers can fly over the keyboard!
So for me it’s freedom and giving back to my readers.  You guys are the best, and it’s my hope to keep these books coming! 

Oh, and to everyone who pre-ordered Second Chance, thank you so much! Without your support I wouldn't have the greatest job in the world, writing stories for you! Thank you! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luna and the golf ball

Patience

Stranger is his Bed is now free on Amazon Kindle!