I wrote new words today and the reality of being a writer


I wrote 6,725 words yesterday. This wasn’t editing my current manuscript. This was something totally new, completely new words pounded out first thing in the morning before coffee.  I don’t know if these are words I’ll keep or not. I haven’t gone back to read them. I don’t know when I’ll read them. Maybe I’ll never read them. 

That’s the thing about writing. You can work on anything you want. If you get tired of working on your romance, you can always go back and start something completely different. Maybe a sci fi.
Back to the word count.
I often wonder how it is for others to try to understand the workings of a writer’s mind. Right after I wrote these new words I went out to get coffee.  I was by myself and I planned to visit my mom so I didn’t stay, just went through a local drive thru. 

This is how the conversation might play out in my head:

Drive thru attendant:  “Good morning.  How may I help you?”
Me: “Large black coffee please.”
Drive thru attendant:  “How’s your day so far?”
Me:  “Great! Fabulous! Wonderful!”
Drive thru attendant:  “Oh really?  Why?”
Me:  “I wrote 6,725 words today!”
Drive thru attendant: “That’s amazing! You’re Nancy Henderson right? I thought that was you! Oh my god! Will you sign my book?”
She whips out a copy of my latest release.  I sign it and she holds it to her heart. “I will cherish this always!”
Me:  “Thank you.”
Drive thru attendant:  “So that’s so great that you wrote so many words. I totally understand why you’re so incredibly happy.”
Me:  “You do?”
Drive thru attendant: “Of course. Everyone understands writers. Here’s your coffee.”
Me:  “How much do I owe you?”
Drive thru attendant: “Nothing.  It’s on the house. You signed my book. That’s payment enough.”


Okay…here’s the reality:

Drive thru attendant:  “What can I get you?”
Me:  “Large black coffee please.”
Drive thru attendant:  “Three ninety-eight. Pull around.”
I pull around and pay. The attendant doesn’t recognize me. She doesn’t understand me. She certainly doesn’t have a copy of my book. 
She hands me my change without making eye contact. 
Me:  “Thank you.”
Drive thru attendant:  “Yep.”

I smile.  It’s okay. I’m a writer.  

And I wrote 6,725 new words today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luna and the golf ball

Patience

Stranger is his Bed is now free on Amazon Kindle!