Around the web

Merry Farmer has an amazing post about success and how it defines an author.  It got me thinking, although I think about this a lot anyway as it is, but I wonder what an author's criteria is for defining success.  And does it change or evolve?  I believe it does.
When self publishing didn't exist (or pre 2010 when it was considered mostly taboo) I defined success as being traditionally published.  But prior to that I defined it as obtaining an agent.
After being small press published for awhile, I defined success as that publisher allowing me to continue writing the series I was currently involved in.  And to do that I needed to keep my sales numbers up or my series would get dropped. 
Now I mostly exclusively self publish and I define success in a different way:  by readers.  How many readers can I reach? Connect with? Connecting equals a following and that to me, in my own personal writing journey, is my definition of success.  The money comes from that.  See, I can't do anything to control the money coming in.  All I can do is maintain loyalty to my readers and hope they do the same to me.  And to do that, I work on my craft and put out the best book(s) possible for readers.  What's all I can control.



In reader/book news, I'm attending the Liverpool, NY Book Festival on Tulip St in Liverpool, NY this Sunday from noon to 2 pm.  Stop by if you're in the area!  There will be loads of great authors and readers attending!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luna and the golf ball

Patience

Stranger is his Bed is now free on Amazon Kindle!